Council Search Requirements: Flood Overlay

There are some crucial council searches that must be completed prior to getting started on planning and building. After completing an easement search, you’ll need to conduct a Flood Overlay. We in the South East region of Queensland understand the implications of flooding all too well, so this is an important search.

Whilst these searches are essential to understand the implications and potential changes you’ll need to make to your building plans, they also need to be submitted to council with your building application.

Each local council and the state government have a variety of overlays you need to conduct before building. If you find you do have a flood risk on your property, it may not be the end of the world! The first step you’ll need to take is the engagement of a surveyor to conduct an AHD level.  This assessment advises the flood height of the property, and your builder will need to ensure the floor height of your home is built a minimum 300mm above this.  The cost of this assessment along with the findings (depending on the results you may have to raise your home further which has additional costs), will need to be added to your budget.

When discussing your new home with builders, it is important to provide as much information as possible about your property and its flood overlay.  Choosing a builder with experience in flood overlays will ensure the required assessments are completed prior to your building application to guarantee a smooth approval process.

Oakvale Homes is highly experienced in managing building with a flood overlay. Feel free to contact us on 1300 795 625 to discuss your building needs.

Oakvale Homes does not provide financial or legal advice, seek a professional in this field.

Call Now Button